Thursday, June 21, 2012

I Feel You, Dude.

         A particular CNNgo article recently became quite the talk of the social media sphere here in Bangkok. In fact, the online article itself was a story in this morning's news show. A testimony to the hype it has created, I can still see related discussions on my newsfeed right now, even though it was 3 days ago when I was first linked to it by a friend on Facebook. I'll even admit to then fueling the trend by sharing it to my mom. (Yes, she and I are quite connected on the social network.)
          I can't generalize whether the editorial gained popularity because people liked it (by this, I mean pre-Facebook-era liking) or because they more so found it impudently offensive. Personally, when I read the article I thought it was my writing on my opinions, which means yes, I praise the article. And my admiration comes with self-loathe for not releasing it first... Anyways, if you're really looking for one, there is a legitimate blanket statement that can be made about people's reception of the article. That is, whether they appreciate it or not, people accept the accuracy of the content
So, what exactly was the article about, you ask?
WHAT BANGKOK PEOPLE ARE REALLY LIKE. 
Since the article is already written dammit, I'm just going to pay tribute by sharing my reactions to it. 
*If you didn't like the article and do not wish to be further offended, I suggest you return to your Facebooking until my next photography post comes out*

  • Firstly, I think the editor's apologetic foreword is so deja vu. I have dreams of writing such statements after my imaginary article offends society at large.
  • #10: ACCURATE. This guy is good! 
  • #9: It would kill Thais to eat pizza without ketchup. Here's a thought: ketchup isn't Italian, nor is mayonnaise Japanese... Just sayin'.
  • #8: "Sure, just come on in before I get out so that I can have the pleasure of violently pushing you on my way out." Soooo efficient. 
  • #7: God, this annoys me so much. I admit that I don't like strong sun-rays, but I have no problem with tans and I HATE the WHITE = BEAUTY bullshit that is socialized here. Trust me, there are a whole lot of ugly fair-skinned people out there!
  • #6: I'm sorry, but the majority of Thais who are spotted sipping wine at some classy Bistro uptown are big fakers. Oblige them to wine-shop, and you'll see. B.S.
  • #5: "With a smile like that I totally forgive you for being 3 hours late." =]
  • #4: Now I don't feel so bad about not speaking "femininely enough". Turns out I was just being real. 
  • #3:  I don't get why the real name is necessary if people are destined to not use it. 
  • #2: Recently, when I suggested walking to a walking-distance destination, the person looked at me strange, then laughed and said, "Thais don't walk." Touche. 
  • #1: What bugs me even more is when they STOP right in front of escalators. !@#$%^&*

Picture from umasueca.wordpress.com.
This made me laugh.
The irony is that Thais who enjoyed the article, read it and thought, "Hooo yea, I do that!"
Peace.
- Mika

No comments:

Post a Comment